Science Industry Mentoring Program
The program aims to provide students with a sense of direction and ideas about how to successfully transition into employment or further study. By providing students with a mentor during their studies, the program seeks to provide students with further information about their options and increased confidence in career decision making.
Mentoring is an informal partnership, where a more experienced mentor provides guidance and support to a current University of Melbourne student. Meetings focus on career planning and how students can make the most of their time at the University.
(03) 8344 9802
Program Timeframe⇩ The Science Industry Mentoring Program runs from late July – October.
- Mentor applications will be open in May 2017
- Mentee applications will be open in May 2017
- Participants meet at least 3 times over the course of second semester
- Students are responsible for the relationship and will initiate the first contact
- Meetings take place where and when it is convenient for both participants
- Option to participate in mentoring events on campus
- Option to extend the relationship beyond program completion
About our Science Students⇩ Students are enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree and come from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Are enrolled in any of our undergraduate degrees or postgraduate degree and associated majors
- Are generally looking for guidance on career planning
- Have applied for the program and demonstrated their commitment by attending a compulsory preparation session
About our Mentors⇩ We invite members of our alumni community and industry partners to register as a mentor in this program.
- Have at least one year of professional experience
- Are actively working or volunteering
- Can be from any field and do not need to be working in a field related to their degree
- Are able to commit to meeting a student at least 3 times over a 3 month period
Some students are interested in talking to a recent graduate in a similar field, while other students would benefit from meeting up with an experienced professional who can offer insight into multiple careers. Our mentors reflect this range and include recent graduates to experienced alumni and industry partners working in diverse fields.